Pregnancy and Hair Loss

Majority of hair, approximately 90%, is growing at a given period of time, while the remaining 10% are in the resting phase of hair growth cycle. Every two or three months, the hair at the stage of sleep falls to allow the new hair to grow. Almost all women report hair loss at certain times during and after pregnancy, although most cases of hair loss occurs after birth. The hair loss after pregnancy is also known as telogen effluvium and occurs in the first five months after childbirth. Nearly half of all women experience this type of hair loss, but like most of the changes experienced by the body during pregnancy, this hair loss is temporary.

Pregnancy and hair loss, as well as menopause and hair loss, can be attributed to changes in the female hormone estrogen known as in the case of pregnancy: an increase in estrogen. Estrogen sends signals to the hair follicles to continue to grow and prevents the shedding of hair. The increase in estrogen levels also increase metabolism, which translates into more nutrients from being subjected to all areas of the body including the scalp.

The hair loss associated with pregnancy usually occurs after childbirth. This type of hair loss does not cause baldness and reduce stains after three to four months. The hair loss during pregnancy is uncommon for changes in the body's maintains the hormonal balance of any pregnant women lose their hair. After giving birth, hormone levels return to normal, allowing the hair to fall out and return to normal growth cycle. The hair growth can return to normal after six to twelve months.

The hair that should have fallen into disgrace during pregnancy, but was delayed due to the production of hormones can be outside once. Excessive hair loss after pregnancy does sometimes contribute to depression and low self-esteem, however, this situation should not be cause for alarm because it is normal and is not permanent. Coping with this type of hair loss may be relatively easy because there are a lot of postpartum hair loss and literature information available today. In line articles and books are a great help. These are some of the things that women can do to cope with hair loss and to promote the growth of hair: Treat your hair gently. Do not brush your hair too hard or over brush. Use a gentle shampoo. Be careful in using chemicals to hair color and perms. Hair reacts differently to treatment chemicals and chemicals can also be harmful to the unborn baby.

The hair loss and pregnancy is not necessarily a traumatic experience. There are a number of things you can do while pregnant women to take care of your hair during pregnancy, and to reduce the impact of post-partum hair loss.

  • Consult a doctor to make sure that hormones are kept in proper balance.
  • Avoid style hair in pigtails, braids, or any other style you can put emphasis on the hair.
  • Use gentle shampoos and conditioners, and if possible, use those containing biotin and silica
  • Avoid using fine-toothed combs.
  • Avoid using blow dryers and other instruments with heating.

Get vitamin supplements containing vitamin B complex, Biotin, Vitamin C, vitamin E, and zinc.